400g shortcrust pastry (shop bought is fine)
plain flour, for dusting
1 tbsp olive oil
8 spring onions, finely chopped
350g white crab meat
75g brown crabmeat
3 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
400ml double cream
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp Cornish sea salt
125g asparagus tips
75g Gruyere cheese, finely grated
1. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23cm fluted tart tin. Cover the pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the spring onions and cook over a low heat for 3-5 minutes until softened but not coloured. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
3. Crack the eggs & egg yolks into a large jug. Add the cream, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and salt, then whisk together until smooth. Stir in the white crab meat.
4. Sprinkle the spring onions over the base of the pastry case and dot the brown crabmeat over the spring onions.
5. Pour the white crab meat mixture into the pastry case, then arrange the asparagus tips over the top. Sprinkle over the Gruyere cheese. Place the tart tin on a baking sheet and bake for 40-50 minutes until the filling is just set. Leave to cool for a few minutes before serving.